Tuesday, October 25, 2011

fish, tea, and checkers

Brady's Fish and Chips provided our lunch today, which we shared with my cousin near the water. It was very tasty - not too much batter (a common failing of fish and chips), plenty of chips, still hot and crunchy by the time we got to our lunch spot. After lunch (and delivering my cousin back to work), my aunt and I walked along the water near downtown Victoria.

We encountered a number of things during this meander. A mouse. A statue of an orca in colorful mosaic tiles. A statue like object that appeared to be shaped sort of like a top. People filleting salmon in front of a restaurant called the Flying Otter. A statue with green sticks and red things on top with a wirework canoe in the middle. Painted mailboxes, electrical boxes and trashcans. The Parliament building and the Empress Hotel. A shop where a new zipper for my grandfather's boat's sail cover could be purchased.

We also spent some time in Murchie's, which is a tea store where they sell large quantities of large numbers of tea varieties (and coffee, and tea supplies, and they have a little area to sit and have pastries and a drink). My favorites include the Library blend, the Murchie's Afternoon blend, and the Palm Springs. I acquired quite a collection of tea for myself, family and friends.

On our way back to the car, we stopped in a bookshop to inquire about the green and red things with the canoe. It turns out that they are meant to represent bulrushes (I think these are the same things that I know as cattails) supporting the Commerce Canoe. Okay, if they say so. It's Art, which means it doesn't have to make sense, eh?

My aunt and I had dinner with my grandparents, followed by Chinese checkers. On the way home, we had doughnuts and hot chocolate at Tim Horton's. We also acquired muffins for breakfast. Overall, an enjoyable day.

The view from where we ate lunch

Victoria harbour

Salmon fillet in front of the Flying Otter

Mosaic whale

Bulrushes and Commerce Canoe

Driving along the waterfront

No explanation necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment