Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Zoo!

I just got back from the San Diego Zoo.  I ran out of space on my camera's SD card (2GB) and had to sit down for a while to delete the obviously blurry pictures.  I went yesterday with S-, at whose apartment I am staying, and went back today.  After all, it's only a 5-10 minute walk away!



Baby flamingos.  Though seeing adult flamingos in a zoo setting just isn't as cool as seeing them in the wild...



2-headed kingsnake


Meerkats are so cute.  Though I'm told they bite.

Okapi butt.  I'm not sure whether I like their amazing giraffe-like tongues better, or their fantastic stripey legs.

Sleepy lioness



Tufted capuchin wants the seedpod (he did get it).

Woodland kingfisher

Southern bald ibis and ferruginous ducks

My hand and a chimpanzee handprint



Malayan tigers


Malayan tapir


Mom and calf

The line to see the giant pandas.

Red panda.

Gaogao.  Father of five of the six pandas born at SD Zoo.
The most recent was born just a few days ago!

Dragon

Southern warthog

Monkey king

Yun Zi


White-faced whistling duck - was right by the fence, making cute little noises

Saddlebill stork


Takin - there are several (including several half-grown calves) along the panda line's path.

Yes, I went through the line again an hour or two later.


Silvered leaf monkey - these guys have two exhibits next to each other (I could see a pass-through door between them) that I'm guessing they switch between to give them more entertainment. 

Sloth bear

Grizzly bear

Buergers' tree kangaroo

Royal antelope - less than a foot tall!


I have no idea what this bird is - it is not a quail or a turaco, which are what the exhibit was labelled.

Walk toward the back of this elephant and...



Secretary birds are so cool

Jaguar cubs - 3 months old.  Yesterday, they were sleeping.  Today, they were playing.  Just like kittens!



Bontebok - love that white face.


My feet hurt now.  I also want a better camera (especially the ability to manual focus... because autofocus keeps focussing on the cage, and not the animal).  Tomorrow, the Safari Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment