Saturday, May 26, 2012

green things

1.  It takes a remarkable amount of dirt to fill a pot.

2.  I apparently am not capable of keeping track of which little pots I've put tomato seeds in and which ones I haven't.

3.  Wet cardboard tears more easily than dry cardboard.

4.  I am not capable of evenly spacing pea plants, though I seem to be a little better at beans.

5.  I do not want to kill small green things that look like they're doing well.

6.  My basil hates me (I already knew it was unhappy).

6b.  The basil initially looked like it was going to do well, and then it got overwatered and looked a little sad (I watered it, and then it rained for a few days), and then the sun came out, and it tried to burn to a crisp, and then I moved it to a shadier spot, and it managed to complete the burning-to-a-crisp process anyway.

7.  The mint, however, doesn't seem to mind me too much.  The coriander and thyme haven't decided yet.

8.  The pansies decided that they couldn't be outdone by the beans and peas, and started sprouting.

8b.  The first sprout, over a week ago, was very exciting... but then I spent a couple days worrying that the rest of them were never going to appear.  They did.

9.  The tomatoes aren't quite big enough to be planted in big pots, and besides which, we pretty much ran out of dirt.

10.  I really hope that by growing plants 3 1/2 floors above ground level, I won't have to worry about weeds, snails and other pests.

11.  I am not sure whether this hope might be premature - first I have to get the plants big enough and old enough to be beset by pests and weeds.

Pansies.  Hopefully.

Beans (I think) on the left (there's a couple peas in behind them).  Peas (I think) in the upper right.  Tomatoes (I think) in the lower right.  I had planned to plant 10 little squares of tomatoes, but apparently, I didn't (either that, or the two empty spots in the middle mysteriously decided not to germinate even though everyone else is doing well).

Class photo:  Beans 2012.

In a pot.  I know I'm supposed to cull them, but most of them look so happy... I'll let them decide whether they like their new location or not for a few days first.

Class photo:  Peas 2012.

Peas in a Pot.

Thyme.  It's very tiny, and isn't growing very fast, but thyme is kind of tiny anyway.  It didn't start out very well - these were the IKEA seeds that sprouted and then looked like they wanted to die - and the tiny leaves that we have now look relatively happy, so I'm pleased.

Chives, I think.  They're kind of bent... I suspect a cat.

Mint.  I now need to figure out what to do with it.

Mysterious plant with supposedly edible flowers (not present) from G's parents.  I think it was also a little unhappy about the sudden sun - it looked happier when it was raining.

Coriander.  It hasn't decided whether it likes me or its new pot yet.  It's not dead yet, though.  It is kind of leggy - that happened in the IKEA pot.

Basil.  The big foreground basil came from the store as a great big plant.  The little background basil was the IKEA basil.  The IKEA basil started out looking pretty happy, and then all of it, simultaneously, decided to die.  This photo is after I removed the truly crispy, brown, dry leaves.

Something I finished knitting a couple days ago.  It's not green.


No comments:

Post a Comment