Monday, May 14, 2012

bricks

I have joined a Ravelry sock knitting group.  Every two months, they have a "knit-along" - where people choose a pattern based on a theme, and attempt to complete a pair of socks in that pattern within the specified time frame.

March-April was "unusual sockitecture" - socks that are not produced according to the usual start-at-the-top-and-go-down or start-at-the-bottom-and-go-up formula.  There are, it turns out, a lot of options, including the middle-down-up ones I did (the blue socks in this post).

"Gruen ist die Hoffnung" in Cascade Heritage Sock, colour marine.

May-June's theme is "yarn you don't know what to do with."  I have extra yarn from the first pair of socks I completed - and while I kind of like the socks, since they are my first socks, I don't particularly care for the colours in the socks (well, the blue is ok - but the purple is kind of ugh).  To further complicate things, I have only one skein of this yarn within reach (I think there may be a second in California, but that's hard to check right now).  I would need 1.5-2 skeins of this yarn for the typical pair of socks.

The problem yarn

After perusing the options for two-coloured socks (on the theory that I've got lots of leftover bits of other yarn that could get used up), I've settled on the pattern "Just Another Brick On the Wall."


Leftovers from other socks.
I'm not yet sure whether I like the way the colours are playing out yet - but it's fast to knit, it's using up yarn, and it's easy... so I think I'll go sit on the patio in the beautiful weather with my Kindle, a mug of tea, and a sock.
Life is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment